The thirteen Biggest MEGO Superheroes — RANKED
It’s the 45th anniversary of Mego’s World’s Best Tremendous-Heroes!
It’s all Phillip Tagliaferri’s fault.
When I used to be 5 or 6 years outdated, I walked into Phillip’s room and standing on his dresser were Batman and Robin in all their Mego glory.
Though I had an Motion Jackson, I hadn’t even conceived that these may exist. This was most likely late 1972 or early 1973 and the shockwave of seeing the Dynamic Duo like this utterly altered my young life and, I suppose by extension, the 45 years or in order that followed.
What I didn’t notice was that this scenario, or comparable ones, have been taking part in out for countless different children as Mego unleashed its first wave of World’s Best Super-Heroes — Batman, Robin, Superman and Aquaman.
For a technology, Megos were it, and no quantity of Sizzling Toys, DC Collectibles, Marvel Choose and Funko figures — terrific though they are — will ever surpass them for sheer childlike joy and marvel.
By way of begging and cajoling — my rudimentary bargaining powers and abilities of charm in full pressure — I managed over just a few years to build a fairly good dimension Mego collection: Batman, Robin, the Joker, Penguin, Riddler, Catwoman, Batgirl, Superman, Aquaman, Shazam! Captain Marvel, Spider-Man, Captain America, Mr. Mxyzptlk and Inexperienced Arrow. In some instances, multiple versions of every.
Add to that the Batcave, Batmobile, Batcopter and Batcycle. (Oh, and Cornelius and Dr. Zaius from Planet of the Apes.)
This poster was provided via WorldsGreatestToys.com
My originals are lengthy gone — a story for one more day — but they’ve all been changed by different original figures or today’s dead-on replicas. My assortment is way bigger than it ever was, crammed with characters that Mego by no means obtained around to producing or ones that I by no means had.
However I received to considering. With Mego’s World’s Biggest Super-Heroes line celebrating its 45th anniversary this vacation season — it debuted for Christmas 1972 — which were the best And by greatest — a purely subjective concept — I mean finest designed. Those that stroll that line between hokey and goofy and clever and cool.
Now, if I have been being completely sentimental, my checklist would look fairly totally different. Batman could be tops, easy, fingers down. Robin and Penguin could be on there. Most likely Captain America too.
Instead, this is a listing that tries to dispassionately consider the aesthetics and inventiveness that went into creating these fantastic toys.
So, with all that stated, and your argumentative muscles already primed, here are The thirteen Biggest Mego Superheroes — RANKED:
13. Kid Flash. If I’m going to have one of many smaller-scale Teen Titans on this list, and i should, it’s going to be Kid Flash, whose traditional design is one in all the greatest in comics history. (Click right here for more on that.) I’m not loopy about the crimson knickers however virtually every Mego makes some concession to price range or manufacturing issues. I dig the molded gloves — and solely wish that Mego had gone on to create his mentor, the Flash …
Most pix are from eBay. I wished to show off the originals if in any respect doable. Some of these may have repro components.
12. Shazam! … whose outfit, I suppose, would have seemed lots like this. Shazam! Captain Marvel was one of the earliest Megos I had however he disappeared relatively shortly, which is strange because I used to be cautious with my toys, however there you may have it. I do know that purists get annoyed by the shortcuts on the cape and even the face, however I dig it.
He looks like Rich Buckler’s Captain Marvel, and that’s just fantastic by me.
Eleven. The Falcon. I was much more targeted on DC’s Megos slightly than Marvel’s. I was a Batmancentric child and solely had Spidey and Cap. I could not have even turn into aware that the Falcon had a figure till years later once i saw him in a Heroes World catalogue. I don’t assume I ever noticed him in a retailer. However this is a superb design and does an admirable job of translating him from the comics web page. Enormous, huge factors off, although, for the versions that had Planet of the Apes arms. That’s simply severely messed up. (Also worth noting that the Mego commercials used to single him out because the “black superhero.” Yeesh. Totally different instances, I do know. However nonetheless.)
10. Batgirl. I suppose there was no different means round it for the Super-Gals, but I never preferred the Megos with the flyaway hair. Too unruly and it really detracts from the general impact of the determine. So a part of what makes Batgirl work is her helmet: It retains her hair in test. When you take it off, you’re nonetheless left with that odd mask but I used to think of it as Barbara Gordon’s glasses. She’s the better of the female heroes Mego produced and was one in all my favorites as a kid. Taking a cue from Batman Family (click on right here), I used to have her date Robin. I had an overactive imagination.
9. Superman. The Man of Steel is sort of bland and he never seemed quite huge sufficient for me, but this is about nearly as good a traditional Superman motion determine as you’ll ever discover. The colours are brilliant and daring, the cape is secure and Superman looks like Superman. I played with him a lot more after Superman: The Film got here out however I used to be always disillusioned that he didn’t look extra like Christopher Reeve (though he’s not far off, actually) and that he didn’t have higher villains to battle. That was a real Mego oversight. Mxy however no Lex Come on!
Eight. The Thing. I almost put the Hulk on this listing because he’s a near perfect adaptation of the character in plastic and cloth. And seriously, I most likely ought to have. But I simply love the Thing’s kitsch worth and didn’t want to put two of the over-muscled figures on the listing. Random, but true. Anyway, that’s a high-flight head sculpt — Kirby in three-D. And the swimsuit is rocks painted on! If that doesn’t say Mego, I don’t know what does!
7. The Riddler. This is a terrific determine, and wonderfully easy. With so few bells and whistles to should adapt, this Riddler really appears just like the Riddler. I suppose you could quibble that his purple belt should have been one among Mego’s generic easy belts as a substitute of a copy of Batman’s utility belt, however no matter. Though Spider-Man was also in stocking toes (because it have been), I always had a tougher time getting Riddler to stand on his personal. Perhaps that’s as a result of Spidey’s feet have been sticky. (Get it I crack myself up.) Critically, although, it’s an incredible head-sculpt and a fantastic jumpsuit. Great figure.
6. Batman. Batman is my favorite Mego of all time for the plain causes however a much less biased view places him in the middle of the record, with a big asterisk: If I solely had to think about the removable-cowl version, he’d be at or close to the highest. However the molded-head Batman was the one that almost all youngsters had. The removable-cowl Batman was magical. Attending to take that mask off to reveal Bruce Wayne underneath was a factor of transformative beauty.
However, the molded Batman headsculpt isn’t great. By the early ’70s, the Batman of the comics had reverted to his position as a serious avenger of the night — however merchandising didn’t catch up to that for years so Mego Batman ended up with an captain america t-shirt in dubai racing oddly placid look. The oven mitts don’t help the look both, although I’m totally cool with that. They’re so indelibly Mego I can’t start to criticize them. I think I also would have preferred that his cape were fastened on, because it would often spin round throughout Batfights.
(Side observe: Robin didn’t make the listing as a result of although he’s one in all the great Megos, I incessantly discovered him frustrating to handle: His tunic would usually come open or pull out from his belt. Not exactly conducive to the aforementioned Batfights. I nonetheless love him, however, regardless that as a child I usually wished his head sculpt were updated as an alternative of being primarily based on the Golden Age.)
5. The Lizard. Now, we’re actually getting into it. The Lizard is one in every of Mego’s finest — and could also be why I just like the character so much. Great head sculpt, correct clothes and intelligent development of the cloth tail. I needed a Lizard within the worst way and never acquired one. It’s the vacation season, so if any of you readers on the market need to purchase me one off of eBay, I’ll let ya!
Seems to be like a repro coat, judging by the pockets. However you get the gist.
Four. Green Goblin. As nice because the Lizard is, the Inexperienced Goblin is better. Generally Mego overshot with its accountrements however here they hit it right on. It’s an incredible head sculpt, for one factor. All cackling menace. The jumpsuit is a very good design too. They usually didn’t skimp on different particulars, both: It at all times bugged me that Superman had generic boots — identical with Batgirl — but here the eye to detail pays off with Goblin’s pointy footwear. Spidey deserved extra villains — especially if they were as nicely produced as these two. A first-fee figure — and one I additionally never bought. (Hint, trace.)
Three. Inexperienced Arrow. Green Arrow makes it this excessive largely on the strength of one in every of Mego’s best head Men’s Custom Marvel Ant-Man Short Sleeve T-Shirt sculpts ever. That is Neal Adams’ imaginative and prescient almost completely adapted. Humorous factor is I thought-about GA kind of exotic, too: I received him pretty late in the game — years after my unique figures, which I largely acquired from 1972 to 1975 or so. He was the final DC eight-incher produced, hitting in ’75, however I didn’t learn about him until a lot later. And to at the present time I find it strange that Mego produced him while never getting round to the Flash and Green Lantern, who were increased on the DC food chain. So there’s a sure aura round this determine. He’s not fully comics correct — he lacks those distinctive archer’s gloves and there’s no cross-stitching on the chest — but the outfit really works. However, the accessories didn’t essentially fare as properly: The quiver straps by no means sat on his shoulder correctly, you couldn’t actually match the bow in his hand correctly and the hat would fall of his head when in action. But in case you pose him on a shelf, he appears to be like rattling cool.
This looks like a reproduction to me however I’m unsure.
2. Spider-Man. That is about pretty much as good because it will get. Just like the Riddler, this is a case the place simplicity wins out. No capes, no clutter, no belt, no nothing. Simply an excellent-trying jumpsuit, with deep, wealthy colours. Now, as it occurs Spider-Man is one in every of the greatest costume designs of all time, in order that obviously helps. (Click on right here for more on that.) But Mego actually nailed the presentation. Is it good Of course not. This is Mego we’re speaking about. The web lines on Spidey’s mask aren’t black. As an alternative, they’re indented — but I find that really cool. I additionally a lot favor the traditional, comics-correct chest brand, versus the bizarre circle version.
And did you notice that this is likely one of the few Spider-Man action figures to captain america t-shirt in dubai racing provide you with these John Romita eyes It’s true. Just try finding one other one. So that’s huge for me. Because it seems like this Spidey just jumped off of this cover:
1. The Joker. If Spidey is simplicity incarnate, the Joker is the perfect melding of Mego’s variety of manufacturing instincts. The pinnacle sculpt is the very best the company ever produced, with its brilliant green hair, white pallor and daring red lips endlessly molded into villainous laughter. Though he was obviously meant to look like the fortunately crooked clown of the ’60s comics, he can also pass for the more sinister criminal of the ’70s, relying in your temper and perspective.
You might want him to be sporting an actual suit and vest — I wouldn’t. Fits at this scale look bulky and constricting. Having his outfit screened on will not be sensible but it’s classic Mego. And because the Joker’s a skinny marink, the effect is acceptable. The illusion is additional enhanced by the purple tails with inexperienced shirt cuffs. The lapels by no means sat proper however whatever. The brown footwear labored, in the meantime, and the slight tackiness of the rubber made it pretty simple to get the Joker to stand on his personal. If I’ve a quibble, it’s that the Joker was usually drawn with purple gloves, but so be it. That wasn’t even 100 % of the time.